Thursday, October 18, 2007

Prediction: Hardcore Feminist Bho!

Is it because I know Bho is a girl that I've been "overly feminist" lately (whatever that means...)? Or is it because I'm selfish and feel the need to be treated equally? I'm guessing my parents would probably say it's the latter (newsflash: I am selfish). Hmmmm, but let's not go there - it really doesn't matter.

What does matter is that my little Bho has the chance to do whatever the hell she wants when she grows up. This has been of concern to me lately. If Bho ends up dating boys, she does not have to be stuck doing the laundry or vacuuming because Bwi, or any other similarly aged B's, is too busy watching a game or staying late at work "bringing home the bacon." When a home improvement project is needed like installing a ceiling fan, it'd be nice if she was capable of throwing it up in her spare time. Of course, after she gets back from winning Wimbledon, doctoring children in Africa, and walking down the catwalk in Paris.

Today, as I was perusing The Consumerist, I saw this article about a new spin-off of Home Depot called Her Depot. To me, this is the ultimate embarrassment. Why-oh-why, do we need a specific home improvement store geared towards women? Do they feel it that Home Depot stores are too "manly" or "construction-oriented?" Do women really find it difficult to pick out a nail size or light fixture without drinking an espresso or surrounded by floral-papered walls?

Image by Dean Terry.

I'm sorry, but who thought of this? If a lone female in Home Depot's Corporate Headquarters is getting rich off of an idea to put fabric softener and detergent next to the washing machines/dryers in this store... good for her, but our society is doomed. What a waste.

Personally, I like to feel dirty. I like to help with construction projects. I actually like to garden (not sissy gardening either, I like to dig holes and plant things). Bottomline, I like Menards. Although, as I write their name - it makes me think.

No comments: