Wednesday, August 8, 2007

This is how America got to be a fatty...

I'm scared... very, very scared. My worry is stemming from the fact that our children today have a preference and demand for McDonald's (fastfood in general, probably) rather than other foods such as ice cream, candy, and gum. I also have a feeling that kids today could repeat jingles or premises of commercials more rapidly than they could their abc's or 123's.

It is very troubling that in a new study, it was shown that our young kids are being brainwashed by a big scary clown, a.k.a Ronald, making them more likely to find any variety of food tasting better if labeled as produced by McDonald's. All I can say is ICK!
The picture below is totally appropriate:




Not to regress, but when I was growing up, it was considered a special treat (like I had just gone to the dentist or did something really outstanding - which I guess didn't happen as much as I thought, hmmmmm?) if my dad took me to McDonald's to get an ice cream cone. Although, sometimes my grandma would secretly buy me a happy meal (I've still kept it from the parents grandma, promise!) and even then I'd only care about the toy and not finish the hamburger or chicken nuggets.

Per the study, children aged 3 to 5 were choosing the McDonald's wrapped carrots (yes, carrots!) as tasting better than the plain wrapped carrots. How sad! Also, I think we need to discard of one of our two televisions in the house. The study found that the more tv's in the house, the more they preferred the McDonald's labeled foods.


Oh poor little Bho, you will NOT have a tv in your bedroom... but I have a feeling we'll have this discussion when you're old enough to beg. I just hope you're begging for a laptop and not a Whopper.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

THE TV STAYS! Lol..

We can solve this without throwing out the tube. I will plan on dressing up in a Ronald McDonald suit and hiding in Bho's closet. The blood curdling terror she experiences as evil Ronald pops out of her closet at night should keep her suspicious of fast food for a while.

Anonymous said...

I am disappointed in this blog entry. I was hoping for something light-hearted and silly, not something that makes me regret the numerous Arby's Roast Beast sandwiches that I have been consuming in the past weeks. Plus, I have heard the best way to silence screaming baby cries is with a quarter-pounder with cheese.

The only was you could redeem this post would be to promise Bho that she will get to watch as much Baby Einstein as she wants. Duh!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok this shouldn't be a problem - you don't go to fast food restaurants now and you probably won't when Bho is born so it won't matter. Besides she will probably be afraid of Ronald the clown and the BK King scares me!!

We can always wrap healthy food in McDonalds wrappers if she won't eat :) Can't we make an exception for ice cream???!!! This will be Bho's secret with Grandma :)

Bho's Grandma

Anonymous said...

I did actually see this story on the news while I was in Hawaii. I was pretty disgusted myself...although I do prefer Mc'D's over Burger King (not that thats any better) the Labeled food (carrots and same burgers) was rather alarming! Damn that Clown!!!