Monday, July 9, 2007

I've never been commended for my patience...

Which is why we have an appointment next Monday, the 16th, to find out if Bho is a "he" or "she." Alongside the excitement and impatience of finding out if "she" will be my mini me, brings the horrific nightmare of pink flowery pretty pretty princess or blue cowboy/transportation baby themes.

Seriously, why are girls stuck with frills, priss, and glitter when boys get planes, trains, cars, and even horses?! Do I sound jealous? Hell, yeah, I'm jealous. Who prefers to stay back and "play house" with high heels on instead of catching minnows at the local stream?! Not this girl and that is exactly what happened to me in daycare around the 2nd grade.

It is quite unfortunate that my only hesitation in finding out the gender is because I'm worried that our little Bho will replicate the "girlie spoiling" that has occured on the in-law side with their firstborn niece and granddaughter. I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I'm terrified that we'll start receiving an influx of gender specific doo-dads, which is completely the opposite of what I'd like to teach little Bho. Granted, if Bho wants to wear a pink dress... fine! I don't mind, not at all. However, I'd like "her" to know that girls don't only wear princess jewels and need to be shy; girls also get to ride in planes, trains, cars and even horses! Damn, these methods of transportation may even take "her" places... magnificient places in life such as seeing history like the ruins in Athens, fast-paced city life in Shanghai, or even peace in the Middle East (hey, a girl can dream).

Speaking of dreaming, I'm hoping that these sexist societal tendencies that are apparently keeping Babies R' Us in business (have you seen those God-awful crib sets?!) will someday be quieted by parents who are patient enough to wait until their own little Bho makes the exit or refuses to accept that blue = boy, pink = girl.

Wow, I think I've convinced myself; I might just prefer a little "mini-Craig" instead. Yep, I hate pink thaaaat much. Plus, I think I'd prefer to deal with the free standing peeing and not have to explain why "he gets to be shirtless but you have to wear a bra and a shirt" in the summer heat. I'll never have an answer to that one, my poor little Bho.

5 comments:

Craig said...

Hee, hee. You understand the irony of calling for an abandonment of girl stereotypes right above a post gushing about the most recent feminine fashion at Wimbledon, right?

A's mama said...

How did I know you'd call me on that one? I almost said that I hate the "ruffles, priss, and glitter" but I changed it right away... because in CERTAIN circumstances (like being a hardcore tennis pro) you can pull off a little ruffle and it is DAMN cute. It is waaaaay better than the open shoulder blade shirts that the men are sporting. ;)

Anonymous said...

You know what color if almost always avoided for babies?? Black. Unless you go to an out of the way place, like some hippie store in Uptown or whatnot, you can find anything black for babies. What if I want to have a goth-baby? How dare society limit my access to all black baby clothing, furniture and bedding. Bastards.

Ana Catalina said...

Why don't you dress little bho in yellow? You've always liked the color and it has the added bonus of being gender neutral.

I guess there is always the option of dressing up little bho in cute little hipster t-shirts. Last year I saw a baby Che Guavarra shirt for sale in SoHo for $30. Talk about irony....

Anonymous said...

Really - do you think that Pink is the only color for the little peanut??? How often did you wear frilly pink dresses??? Hmmmm.... since my favorite color is blue - I would guess that little bho's wardrobe has a fair amount of blue or red in it :) In fact you will probably want to add pink!! HeeHee

Bho's grandma....