Monday, December 31, 2007

HELLO new year!

I am going to blame the hormones again as I'm feeling quite sentimental today. It could also be the excitement and appreciation I have for my parents who offered to take Amélie for the evening so that Craig & I could have a "date night" on NYE! Yes, New Year's Eve! It's quite amazing and selfless of them - even after I warned them of Amélie's tendency to scream bloody murder at 4am requesting a bottle; they didn't seem to mind, go figure. This is just how grandparents act, I guess?! Well, it got me thinking back...

Picture this, approximately 20 years ago: Craig wearing his neon snow-pants (it was the late 80s/early 90s, folks) either out on the hill snowboarding or dreaming about snowboarding. It is highly likely I was sitting at my grandma & grandpa Taylor's house begging my grandma to give me a perm (it was the late 80s/early 90s, folks). I highly doubt either of us would have imagined ourselves as parents (to a dog, cat, and new baby girl) or even as a husband/wife.

Boy, being 10-years old sure seems easy... when your biggest worry is if you'll get to snowboard that day or if you'll get your hair to resemble a spiral-curled poodle. Today, even though we don't have much in the worry department as we have it pretty easy; Craig probably never thought he'd be changing a diaper instead of changing his boot straps and I never would have imagined my grandparents would have passed so early from my life, leaving me to miss them almost everyday. These thoughts are especially striking now when Craig & I are in the midst of building an amazing family of our own.

I mean, Indie is the best dog we could have ever ended up with and even Goomsie isn't too bad. However, it's this most amazing kid chilling next to me that gives me goosebumps. Today, as we say goodbye to 2007 and Craig & I move farther away from our childhood memories and as we start the new year - we will be adding brilliant new ones for Amélie. Many of the new memories will include our awesome family as both sets of grandparents have already shown us how amazing, helpful, supportive, caring, and genuinely obsessed they can be... even over the span of three, short weeks of life.

So, as we readily accept the offer from my parents to have a "date night" on such a special evening... we'll be sure to bring in 2008 both with anticipation of these awesome new memories and especially thankful for the old. Oh, and I will be drinking a beer (outside of my living room and not smelling like rotten milk) tonight - finally.

Happy New Year!

Footsies

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tears welled up in my eyes as I read this. It is always interesting to look back on things and realize how much a child changes your life and perspective on things. I am glad to her that you guys got the opportunity to have a date night. I hope whatever you did was amazing as you brought in the New Year. The new pics are adorable!!!! Thank you!

lauren said...

Happy 2008!! Wow is it really 2008? Yes, being a parent brings the weirdest feelings and emotions into your body and it is quite hard to explain and feel unless you are a mom. I am still getting goosebumps and lumps in my throat everyday now for almost 2 years. It has got to be the best feelings ever!!! Glad to hear that you and craig got out for a celebration, how wonderful. Ta Ta!